Skip ribbon commands
Skip to main content


​Anyone who wants to access water through a fire hydrant within the City of Edmonton needs to obtain a hydrant permit through EPCOR.

Appointments are required for hydrant meter pick up and drop off. Please call (780) 412-3850 (select option 3) to schedule an appointment. 

Do I need a hydrant permit?

All hydrant users must have a permit. Using a fire hydrant without a permit is against the law.

Why are hydrant permits required?

By obtaining a permit and reporting your usage, you help us keep track of hydrant and water use in Edmonton. A permit also helps ensure you have the proper training and equipment to operate hydrants and protect our public drinking water system. This prevents problems like damaged hydrants and water mains and helps keep hydrants working to provide emergency protection and clean water to our community. 

Can permit holders access potab​​​le water from hydrants?

Hydrant permits are available for non-potable commercial activities such as construction, irrigation, landscaping, and paving. ​Hydrant permits cannot be used for potable water. Permit holders that require bulk potable water can access our bulk water sites​.

If you see someone actively using the hydrant for potable water, please report it to us at 780-412-3850. If you witnessed someone using a hydrant for potable water, but they are no longer completing this activity, please report it to Alberta Health Services through their Environmental Public Health portal​. ​

Safe hydrant use is requir​ed

Anyone operating a hydrant needs to be trained on safe hydrant use. You will need to review our YouTube vide​o.​​

Report any unsafe hydrant use (e.g. hydrant wasn’t shut off properly, back flow preventor wasn’t used, etc.) to 780-412-4500, so we can follow up with the parties involved.

Obtaining a hydrant permit

There is an annual application fee for a hydrant permit and a monthly fee for a hydrant permit. Equipment rentals are included in your monthly fee, and actual usage is billed monthly based on your metered water consumption.

Please note: You are charged a monthly city annual hydrant permit minimum daily average if you do not report your usage by the 15th of each calendar month.  If your needs are seasonal, you won't pay for the off-season if you return your equipment and end your permit agreement.

Report your daily hydrant usage

You must call EPCOR Water to get approval to use a hydrant each time it is used (the same hydrant in a single day only must be reported once). 

Report your hydrant meter reads

Report your actual meter read by the 15th of each calendar month.