Reasons for water restrictions
Water restrictions are implemented when water demand exceeds the capacity of the local treated water supply.
This can happen for a number of reasons:
- Extended periods of hot, dry weather.
- Poor raw water quality (ex. due to major rain storm).
- Contamination of the water source.
- Unexpected malfunction of a major system resulting in a sudden shortage of water supply.
Non-essential water use
During this time, water should be deferred (except for human consumption).
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Lawns, gardens, trees or shrubs
- Washing vehicles, driveways and home exteriors
- Filling a Jacuzzi, hot tub or swimming pool
- Parks watering
- Fleet vehicle washing