On December 5, 2019, the Government of Alberta lifted the rate cap of 6.8 cents per kilowatt hour for Regulated Rate Option (RRO) electricity customers. Visit the
Government of Alberta to learn more about the decision to end the rate cap.
For more information on the electricity rate cap in Alberta visit the
Utility Consumer Advocate.
What you need to know
- RRO customers are those who haven't signed a competitive electricity contract.
- Like other electricity providers in Alberta, EPCOR's regulated rates will reflect this change.
- RRO customers across Alberta may now see more fluctuation in their rates based on market conditions.
- EPCOR does not make more or less profit when the regulated rate goes up or down – the price our customers pay reflects the market price we pay.
About the regulated rate option (RRO)
- Energy is purchased ahead of time through an open and transparent competitive process approved by the Alberta Utilities Commission and monitored by the Market Surveillance Administrator.
- The cost of energy is passed onto consumers through the regulated rate.
- RRO rates are based on market conditions related to supply and demand and other factors.