Skip ribbon commands
Skip to main content

Homeowner responsibilities

Access to water is our shared responsibility. Here are some of the ways we need to work together to ensure efficient and effective water service.

Water leaks on your property

You're responsible for the maintenance and repair of most water fixtures on your property, including the:

  • Pipe connected to the water meter
  • Toilet
  • Hose bib
  • Stop and waste valve
  • Water line
  • Hot water tank

Your water utility is responsible for the pipes leading up to the property line and the water meter itself.

Water damages and flooding

Water utility crews will repair faulty mains or hydrants. If you've experienced flooding and property damage, please follow these steps:

  1. Contact your personal insurance company and initiate a claim. Your insurance adjuster will need to assess the water damage to your property and any losses.
  2. Remove water immediately to minimize damage. Dry out all building materials and personal belongings to prevent mould from growing.

Learn more about property damage.

Water shut-off

In most communities, you can shut off the water supply in your home by using the stop and waste valve located on the line leading to your water meter. It will have a Gate valve or a Ball valve to open/close water flow to the meter. If you would like the water shut off at the property line, you must contact EPCOR (the water utility) to have a service technician come out.

Noisy pipes

A slow water leak in your toilet or taps can cause noisy pipes.

  1. Check the fill valve and float in your toilet tank.
  2. The float may need to be adjusted, or your flapper valve may not be closing properly and needs to be replaced.
  3. Any hardware store will carry replacement parts for your toilet.

Slow or low-flow water draw sources, such as humidifiers and ice makers, may also cause noisy pipes. Review your owner's manual to see if the valves should be adjusted or contact a plumber.

Fire hydrants

Fire hydrants located on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. They should be professional inspected annually to ensure they're working properly

​Soil slumping on a water line

Water utility companies will often send a service person to investigate whether the soil slumping is caused by a water system deficiency.

Curb cock (CC) valve

Soil temperature changes may cause curb cock (CC) valves, or shut-off valves, to heave. Water utility companies will often lower or raise the curb cocks valve free of charge at your request.

Tree roots growing into water lines

Refer any tree root concerns to the City of Edmonton by calling 311

Testing for leaks

If there's an indication of a potential leak, we'll test the water service lines. For example, if water is surfacing, the basement is flooding or water pressure is severely reduced.

Water meters

The water meter and the connections to it are owned and maintained by EPCOR. Find out more information about your meter.

​Water service lines on your property

Lines on private property are installed by the developer. For information about the infrastructure on your property (such as age and material), try contacting your builder.


The underground portion of your piping was installed at the same time the home was built, so it's most likely the same age as your house. You can often verify what your lines are made of by visual inspection of the pipe at the point of entry through the basement floor.