What we do
When your water goes off, we work as quickly and safely as possible to restore service and minimize any flooding. Here are some of the things we may need to do:
- Find the exact location using electronic leak detection equipment that tracks the leak using sound.
- Determine what underground valves will close to stop the flow of water.
- Dig 3 metres to reach water pipes, which can be difficult when the ground is frozen.
- Move at least 300 to 400 cubic feet of pavement and dirt to excavate water lines.
- Navigate around buried telephone, gas and underground power lines.
Private property leaks
One of our employees may visit your home to determine whether the problem originated with the public water lines or your private water line (the portion of the water line that
runs from your property line into your home).
If there's a problem in the public water line, a utility crew will repair it. In most cases, you'll be notified when you can turn your water back on.
Is the problem located on your property? Learn more about
reporting a water leak.