To be eligible for the RRO, you need to:
- Be a residential or farm and irrigation customer
- Be a small business or commercial operation that uses less than 250,000 kWh of electricity per year
- Not have a contract with another retailer
How regulated rates are determined
Based on a rate-setting plan approved by the Alberta Utilities Commission, we buy electricity three months in advance to help stabilize and potentially lower prices for our customers. The further out we're able to purchase electricity, the less costly the electricity.
While the RRO rate on your bill will change each month, it usually doesn't change a lot unless there is a major change in supply or demand.
Supply is affected by:
- Generation plants being down for maintenance
- Limitations in getting electricity from its source to consumers
Demand is affected by:
- The number of consumers
- Changes in how much electricity is being used by each customer
You can reduce the impact of RRO rate changes by:
- Conserving energy where possible
- Signing up for an equalized payment plan
The monthly administration charge covers the costs of:
- Providing customer services and call center functions
- Producing your bill
- Liaising with your wires owner
The administration charge is billed for each site on your statement and is approved by the
Alberta Utilities Commission.
Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit
ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).