Backwater valve subsidy program
Help to protect your home from a sewer line back-up by installing a backwater valve. Our Backwater Valve Subsidy offers financial assistance by providing up to $800 for the installation of an interior or exterior
backwater valve. Our program targets Edmonton homeowners:
- Whose homes were built prior to 1989
- Who have had previous basement flooding from sanitary sewer backup
- Who live in areas of Edmonton with previous neighbourhood flooding
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Not have an existing backwater valve in your home
- Not have previously received a subsidy for the application address
- Have your home separately serviced (single family dwelling or duplex)
- Have a pre-approval consultation completed by EPCOR Flood Prevention
1. Get pre-approved
Before installing your backwater valve,
our Flood Prevention Advisors must complete a pre-approval inspection. The backwater valve inspection will be combined with a flood prevention inspection of the interior of the home. Once you get approval from the advisor at the time of the inspection, installation of a backwater valve can proceed.
To book a pre-approval inspection, use our
online booking system. If you require assistance to book your appointment, contact us at
Email us with any questions you may have about the Backwater Valve Subsidy. Our email is monitored Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
2. Install the backwater valve within 6 months of our inspection
A professional plumber must install the backwater valve. Only the following valves will be subsidized:
- Branch Line Backwater Valve
- Fullport Backwater Valve
- Retrofit Backwater Valve
- Top Check Fullport Backwater Valve
3. Submit the application within 6 months of our inspection
You must submit the application within 6 months of the consultation or the installation will no longer qualify for the subsidy. The application must include:
- Proof of professional installation with an invoice that notes the model of valve installed; City of Edmonton Business License or GST number must be visible on the invoice
- Copy of City of Edmonton acceptable green sticker (see below) with permit number
- The subsidy, up to $800, will be paid by cheque made payable to the homeowner.
Subsidies are subject to available funding and are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. There are no guarantees to receive a subsidy.