Outdoor lighting not only enhances your yard, but is important for safety and security. Here are some tips to brighten your property year-round while conserving energy.
- Use motion sensors to light the entrances to your home.
- Use single, "plantable" solar lights to give your garden a pleasant glow.
- For a festive twist, use strings of solar-charged LEDs to brighten up railings and roof lines.
- Replace outdoor incandescent bulbs with CFLs or LEDs.
- Be sure to clean your outdoor fixtures frequently. Dust and dirt reduce brightness.
- Switch your incandescent light strings to LEDs to save money on your energy bill.
- LEDs use 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs and they don't get hot.
- The amount of energy consumed by just one seven-watt incandescent bulb is equal to 140 LEDs (more than 14m of lights).
- Install timers for your outdoor lights.