Water is our most precious resource. As the largest private water utility in Arizona and New Mexico, we understand the obligation we have to protect our more than 360,000 customers.
We test water in our systems daily, and adhere to stringent federal and local guidelines, including checking at various stages of its cycle — from wells and canals to the tap itself — to ensure that you and your family are drinking safe water. It's a process our skilled analysts and scientists repeat 21,000 times a year to make sure water meets our standards.
Every day, we conduct water quality testing. We examine lab results, note any changes in water quality, and then compare them to local and national standards and expectations. The tests look for and measure microorganisms, organic and inorganic contaminants, and physical water quality parameters including, but not limited to:
- Microorganisms: bacteria, viruses, cryptosporidium, giardia.
- Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts: chlorine, trihalomethane–TTHMs, haloacetic acid-HAA5.
- Inorganic chemicals: arsenic, lead, copper, asbestos, nitrates.
- Organic chemicals: PCB, TCE, herbicides, pesticides, petroleum products.
- Radionuclides: radium 226 and 228.
- Physical Parameters: hardness, pH, turbidity.
Safety is a commitment we take seriously, and our colleagues have taken notice:
- Since 2012, we've been recognized with 74 AZ Water Awards for our commitment to quality, operational excellence and safety.
- In 2014 our Anthem Water Treatment Facility was recognized with the coveted Director's Award of Recognition from the Safe Drinking Water Partnership, a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the American Water Works Association.
- We also publish water quality reports about your area annually.