Sign up now so you don't miss out on getting connected
We encourage you to submit your application before construction commences in your community to ensure your property is connected to the natural gas distribution system.
1. Complete the Gas Service Application form
Apply for Gas Service online or complete the
Gas Service Application Form PDF and send it along with the
Meter Size and Location Request Form, specifically noting your preferred meter location on your property.
2. Complete the Meter Size and Location Request form
The Meter Size and Location Request Form should be filled out and handed in with your service application. This form tells us what your natural gas needs are, the location of existing utilities on your property and your preferred location for the natural gas meter on your property. Provide us with details on property ownership, your HVAC contractor (should you have one at this time), the number of appliances or fixtures currently consuming gas or planned to be installed within 12 months after your natural gas installation.
If you are able to, please also indicate the following within the form. (Note: If you are not able to answer the following questions in the form, provide as much information as you can and we will work with your HVAC contractor at a later date to determine any remaining information):
- the BTU of the equipment and appliances you plan to operate on natural gas.
- estimated distance from your property line and the meter.
- identify and mark your preferred meter location on the map area.
- identify any obstructions on your property that would impede installation (i.e.: hydro, septic, water systems, irrigation lines, etc.).
3. Set up your Account
The application process is complete when we receive one of the documents below from you. Choose one of the following options:
- Fill out the
Preauthorized Payment Form that will enroll you in Automatic Payment Withdrawal once your natural gas service starts; or
- Provide a reference letter from another natural gas vendor or electricity provider.
If you do not select one of the options above, EPCOR will require a $300 security deposit that will be added to your first natural gas bill once service begins. This amount will be refunded to you once you have an established credit history with us for 12 months.
Preauthorized Payment Form
- Send the three completed forms listed above to us by mail or drop it into the drop box at our office location.
4. Once we receive your completed forms listed above, we will add your property into our system
Once we have your completed forms our team will:
- Confirm that your property is included on the construction route to receive natural gas.
- Perform a credit review and confirm your information, if necessary.
5. Contact a heating (HVAC) contractor
Once you’ve submitted the forms outlined above, contact a Heating, Venting and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor to inspect your appliances and assess connection requirements. The contractor can also help you complete the remaining parts of the Meter Size & Location Request form, which can be re-submitted to EPCOR with additional information.
You can find accredited contractors on the Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute (HRAI) of Canada's
6. Determine appliances and equipment in your home that you want connected to natural gas
Natural gas appliances can add value to your home and save you money. At this stage, you'll know if your existing appliances can be converted to use natural gas or if you need to upgrade them. It’s also a good time to add other elements you’ve been considering, such as a gas stove, outdoor gas fire pit or a gas barbeque!
7. We'll visit outside your property
Our Gas Technician will visit outside your property to:
- Determine the pathway and size of the gas line from the street to your property.
- Determine the location of the gas meter on your property (as you noted on your Meter Size and Location Request form).
- Measure the distance from your property line to the proposed meter location.
- Take pictures for construction and installation records.
- Place a mark or sticker where the meter will be placed on your property foundation. Please do not move or tamper with this mark.
Given this work takes place outside your property, you do not have to be present for this visit.
Note: Installation from the distribution system to the meter up to a maximum of 30 meters from your property line will be completed at no cost1. Gas line installations that are greater than 30 meters will be charged a fee of $30 per meter and this fee will appear as a line item on your first natural gas bill.
8. Review your existing heating provider contract
At this point it's a good time to review your existing heating provider contract so that you can provide suitable notice of disconnection to their service within the terms of your agreement. Do not disconnect your fuel source or remove any equipment until after your natural gas service has been installed and the appointment for your meter activation has been booked.
1 Most customers can connect to the mainline within 30 meters. Customers who require more line to connect, will be provided with an estimate for the additional line cost which if approved, will be charged on their first bill.