Skip ribbon commands
Skip to main content

‚ÄčIn Alberta, distributed generation (DG) refers to any generation that doesn't conform to the Alberta Utility Commission's (AUC) definition of micro-generation. Examples are non-renewable fuel source types that are intended to exceed the amount of energy you can consume, or a generating unit at 1 MW or larger.

If any one of the following criteria is met, your site can be deemed a distributed generator:

  • Doesn't make use of renewable or alternative energy.
  • Is intentionally designed to exceed all of the your electricity needs.
  • At the time of construction it is sized above your anticipated load.
  • Has a total nominal capacity of 1 MW or greater.
  • Is located on any site with the intent of revenue generation.

Applying to become a distributed generation site

Are you looking to become a distributed generator in Edmonton? We've created an Application Guide that takes you through the application process. You must fully complete all of the steps outlined in order for your application to be approved in a timely manner.

Here's how to get started:

  1. Review and understand the regulations and applications on the AUC website. For approval, you must complete all steps and adhere to the:
  2. Complete the Generator Application Form found on pages 15-17 of the Application Guide and email it to Please include:
    • Single-line diagram of the on-site electrical system.
    • Building permit for site construction.
    • Site plan displaying physical locations of both the meter socket and the generation unit dimensions.
  3. An EPCOR representative will review your application to ensure it complies with our standards and the AUC Application Guidelines. We'll also submit the application to the AUC on your behalf.
  4. Upon AUC approval, we'll create an interconnection agreement that allows you to add energy back onto the electricity grid, including costs associated with this connection.
  5. You'll review the interconnection agreement, sign and return it to your EPCOR representative.
  6. You're responsible for:
    • All applicable permits from the City of Edmonton, including the building permit and the electrical service permit.
    • All civil work on your property, including obtaining any required permits, approvals and underground utility locates. For information on all of the permits necessary for your project, please contact the City of Edmonton's Sustainable Development Department at 311 or (780) 442-5311.
    • Forwarding a copy of your passed electrical inspection report to your EPCOR representative.
  7. We'll make sure your meter is equipped to receive power back to the electricity grid. If you have an advanced meter, it's already able to measure the flow of electricity onto the grid.
    • If you don't have an advanced meter, we'll need to exchange your meter for one that's able to measure the flow of electricity onto the grid.