Who we are
Our story began 130 years ago in Edmonton as Canada's first municipally-owned electric utility and, ten years later, Edmonton's water utility. Today, we build, own and operate electrical transmission, natural gas and water distribution networks; water and wastewater treatment facilities; drainage systems; and infrastructure in Canada and the United States.
EPCOR Utilities Inc. was formed by the City of Edmonton as a standalone corporation in 1996, uniting Edmonton’s power and water utilities with a mandate to grow beyond the city. Now, with annual revenues of $2 billion and assets of $12 billion (2020), the company has more than doubled its annual dividend, and has returned $2.5 billion in overall dividends to our sole shareholder since we were created.
We're a trusted utility provider to more than two million customers in Canada and the U.S. providing power, water, drainage, and natural gas services. We manage and deliver:
- Regulated electricity sales to about 600,000 residential and small commercial customers in Alberta, along with competitive electricity retail and natural gas including green energy solutions.
- Electricity distribution to nearly 420,000 customers in Edmonton and nearly 20,000 customers in the Collingwood, Ontario area.
- Natural gas distribution to customers in Ontario and Texas.
- Natural gas sales to customers in Alberta.
Water, Wastewater and Drainage
- Water and wastewater treatment services for more than one million people in over 80 western Canadian communities and industrial sites.
- Drainage Services in Edmonton through the operation of our sanitary collection and stormwater collection system.
- Water and wastewater services for approximately 770,000 people in 32 unique communities and 12 counties in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, including us among the largest private water utilities in the southwestern United States.