EPCOR celebrates 125 years of providing water and wastewater services to about 1.9 million people across three Canadian provinces and 3 U.S. states.
EPCOR Water USA enters Texas market
EPCOR Water USA Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of EPCOR Utilities Inc., acquires the 130 Pipeline Project, a 53-mile wholesale water supply pipeline that delivers groundwater from Burleson County to eastern Travis County in the northeastern Austin, Texas metropolitan area.
Construction begins on Luke 303 Regional Water Reclamation Facility
EPCOR Water USA, Maricopa County and the City of Glendale mark the start of construction on a 40-acre facility that will fuel new growth and development along the Loop 303 transportation corridor in Maricopa County.
EPCOR and Maricopa Water District sign historic water agreement
EPCOR signs an innovative agreement that provides enough water to supply 41,000 homes and businesses each year.
EPCOR expands to Saskatchewan
The City of Regina selects EPCOR to design, build, finance and operate its new wastewater treatment plant. The new facility is designed to meet new environmental regulations and the city's growing needs.
Partnership protects people and aquatic environment at Kananaskis
EPCOR completes construction of a new water treatment plant and wastewater treatment facility in Kananaskis. In partnership with the Alberta government, the EPCOR-operated treatment systems now help protect the aquatic environment and allow for enhanced fire protection in the region.
|2013 ||Heartland Transmission Line is Launched|
The Heartland Transmission Project is energized in Alberta. The project partners, EPCOR and AltaLink, built a 66-km double circuit 500 kV line linking power generation west of Edmonton to the Heartland region located to the northeast.
|2012 ||Major Water Acquisitions in Arizona and New Mexico|
EPCOR Water (USA) acquires American Water Works Company's Arizona and New Mexico water businesses to become the largest private regulated water provider in the two states. The transaction included operations in 11 water utility districts, many of them in the Phoenix area.
|2011 ||Entry into U.S. Water Market|
On June 1, EPCOR Water (USA) enters the U.S. market with the acquisition of Chaparral City Water Company of Fountain Hills, Arizona.
|2009 ||EPCOR Purchases Suncor Potable Water & Wastewater Facilities|
EPCOR purchases Suncor's potable water and wastewater facilities for $100 million on a 20-year leaseback agreement.
|||Capital Power Corporation Established|
On July 9, EPCOR Utilities Inc. spins off its power generation business to create Capital Power Corporation (TSX:CPX).
|||Transfer of Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant|
The City of Edmonton transfers ownership of the Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant to EPCOR Water Services.
|2008 ||E.L. Smith Upgrade Completed|
The three-year upgrade to the E.L. Smith Water Treatment Plant is completed. It helps ensure a secure, long-term supply of drinking water for the Edmonton region.
Britannia Mine Water Treatment Plant begins operation
The clean-up begins at Howe Sound, one of North America's largest sources of heavy metal pollution—the project being a result of an award-winning partnership between EPCOR and the B.C. Government.
District of Sooke
EPCOR completes and begins operating a new wastewater and collection treatment system for the District of Sooke on Vancouver Island.
|2005 ||White Rock water utility|
EPCOR acquires privately owned White Rock water utility in British Columbia's Lower Mainland.
EPCOR Water celebrates 100 years.
Rossdale Water Treatment Plant
UV disinfection is added at Rossdale Water Treatment Plant.
UV disinfection is added at E.L. Smith Water Treatment Plant.
|2000 ||Water softening process|
The water softening process is stopped in 2000 as part of a plan to meet enhanced water quality regulations.
|1999 ||Aqualta renamed EPCOR. |
|1996 ||EPCOR Utilities Inc. formed.|
The formation of EPCOR Utilities Inc. marks the first merger of natural gas, power and water utilities in Canada. A universal brand name, EPCOR, is introduced in 2001.
|1991 ||Edmonton Power celebrates 100 years. |
|1976 ||E.L. Smith Water Treatment Plant opens. |
Edmonton Power formed
The Electrical Distribution and Power Plant departments combine to form Edmonton Power.
Construction of E.L. Smith Water Treatment Plant begins
Calder water tower is dismantled after 23 years in service.
|1967 ||Rossdale #3 Water Treatment Plant is commissioned.|
Fluoridation begins in Edmonton.
|1956 ||Rossdale #2 Water Treatment Plant is commissioned |
|1955 ||Rossdale switches from coal to gas|
Under pressure to reduce costs and air emissions, the City of Edmonton switches from coal-fired boilers to gas. All the boilers at the Rossdale Plant burn natural gas by the end of 1955.
Rossdale #1 Water Treatment Plant is commissioned.
Electricity goes underground
Lines are removed from above the streets and underground lines are installed in downtown Edmonton, forming the Network Distribution System—a more reliable method of power distribution.
|1933 ||Edmonton's first traffic light installed at Jasper Avenue and 101 Street |
|1913 ||High lift, low lift pumphouse built|
Two water intakes with 900m pipes are constructed.
First water treatment plant built at Rossdale
Edmonton Water and Light Company constructs the first water treatment plant at Rossdale. It includes one pumphouse complete with one low lift and one high lift pump and one sedimentation basin.
A new plant is built at Rossdale Flats
Due to flood damage, a new and superior power plant is built on higher ground. Electricity is generated by burning coal.
First piped distribution system is constructed
The system serves 4,176 customers with 10.5 km of cast iron watermains, 50 fire hydrants and a 330,000-litre elevated storage tank.
|1902 ||Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company made public|
Edmonton Electrical Lighting and Power Company enters a new phase as the first municipally owned electric utility in Canada.
Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company founded
On October 23, 1891, a group of entrepreneurs obtain a 10-year permit to build the Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River. Power poles are installed along Jasper Avenue from 96 Street to 103 Street.
On December 22, 1891, electric lights come on in Edmonton.